Monday, November 12, 2007

"Lucky", my first digital story

Everyone has stories, but I wasn’t sure how to tell mine. Coming together with the other people in this project, I learned how to listen to their stories and also listen to my own.

It took a lot of time, listening, sharing, talking to get to the heart of our stories. It took a lot of risk and a lot of trust.

The actual putting the words, images and music together required an intense, scary, grueling and thrilling 3 days. None of these stories could be shared in this amazing way without the generous support of many, sharing their time and talents, and their money.

Humans have always told stories. Around the fire, at the market place, on cave walls, even around a favorite watering hole, be it a river, a well or the neighborhood bar. Stories have been shared on cave walls, on paper, by phone, or email.

And our stories? Even with the latest technology, they are really just the same as stories have always been—the unique voice of one person sharing part of the human experience with another .

Poet Muriel Rukeyser says “Say it! Say it! The universe is made up of stories, not atoms.”

Amen.

I hope you take some time soon to share one of your stories with someone else.

2 comments:

Lala said...

Thank you for sharing your digital stories. I wish you many many years of good health so you can continue to love and create wonderful art! You are amazing. Document everything!

Lora said...

Harriet,
What a beautiful story!! It brought tears to my eyes. I am so lucky to have you in my family, but Brian and the girls are the luckest people ever. Here is to many many more years with you
Love
Lora